Photo: Treatment session after September 2017 earthquake in Mexico
EMDR THERAPY PROTOCOLS FOR EARLY CARE AND ONGOING TRAUMATIC STRESS ©
Dr. Jarero will be teaching the two primary EMDR Therapy protocols he and his colleagues developed for early intervention and continued traumatic stress that are now a part of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) course for Peace Operations Personnel and Humanitarian Aid Workers:
- EMDR Integrative Group Treatment Protocol Adapted for Ongoing Traumatic Stress (EMDR-IGTP-OTS)
- The EMDR Protocol for Recent Critical Incidents and Ongoing Traumatic Stress (EMDR-PRECI).
- And he will teach two AIP-informed procedures for Acute Stress Syndrome Stabilization (ASSYST-Individual and ASSYST-Group) developed out of the author’s field experience working with patients outside their window of tolerance (hyper-arousal). These focus on the desensitization of the acute stress symptoms with special attention on the intrusive somatic and sensory components of the traumatic experience. The goal of these procedures is to help the patient to reduce arousal levels (inside their window of tolerance) to facilitate their AIP system in the spontaneous processing of the information. These procedures can be applied during the first hours in which the patients show severe stress symptoms and/or functioning deterioration.
The Integrative Group Treatment Protocol (EMDR-IGTP) provides individual EMDR therapy in a group setting, allowing for many individuals to be treated simultaneously. This treatment can be administered to small or large groups of people who have experienced the same type of trauma (e.g. sexual abuse, severe interpersonal violence); who have been through the same traumatic event (e.g. mass shooting, natural disaster, terrorist attack); or who share a major life challenge (e.g. chronic illness, cancer treatment, domestic violence). To date, Dr. Jarero and his team have responded to disasters on 4 continents, provided 165 treatment interventions and have trained individuals from 65 different countries. The effectiveness of this model to treat children, adolescents and adults has been validated by studies around the world through multiple case reports, field studies, randomized controlled trials and one meta-analysis.
The EMDR Protocol for Recent Critical Incidents and Ongoing Traumatic Stress (EMDR-PRECI) © was developed in the field to treat critical incidents (e.g., earthquakes, flooding, landslides) that were related to stressful events that continued for an extended period (often more than six months) and where there is not a post-
The Acute Stress Syndrome Stabilization procedures (ASSYST-Individuals and ASSYST-Group) focus on the desensitization of the acute stress symptoms with special attention on the intrusive somatic and sensory components of the traumatic experience. The goal of these procedures is to help the patient to reduce arousal levels (inside their window of tolerance) to facilitate their AIP system in the spontaneous processing of the information. These procedures can be applied during the first hours in which the patients show severe distress symptoms and/or functioning deterioration.
Click here for more details about the IGTP protocol
Click here for a bibliography of his published studies
Objectives of this Training:
- Learn about Early EMDR Therapy Intervention
- Learn the two AIP-informed procedures for Acute Stress Syndrome Stabilization (ASSYST-Individuals and ASSYST-Group)
- Learn about the EMDR-PRECI background and the Acute Trauma and Ongoing Traumatic Stress theoretical conceptualization based on the AIP model that expands the horizon of the EMDR-based early interventions for individuals and groups
- Learn about the EMDR-PRECI benefits and research evidence
- Understand and learn the EMDR-PRECI 8 Phases rationale
- Understand and learn the EMDR-IGTP, its Objectives, Advantages and Effectiveness and its 8 Phases rationale
- Experience a demonstration and practice of protocols including a first hand experience of the EMDR-IGTP protocol
A 2-day Early EMDR Therapy Intervention Workshop with Dr. Ignacio Jarero
Additional Dates are now being organized by Kelly Smyth-Dent and her organization, SCALING UP.
- $380 – Standard Registration if received 30 days or more before to the training
- $410 – Standard Registration if received less than 30 days prior to the training
- $350 – Interns and full time employees of non-profits and government agencies if received 30 days or more before the training
- $380 – Interns and full time employees of non-profits and government agencies if received less than 30 days prior to the training
- $100 – Auditors: People who have previously attended Dr. Jarero’s training (limited spots available)
* Early Bird Registration = sign up 30 days or more before training begins.
The deadline to register for this training is the first training date. As long as there is space in the training, participants can sign up for the training up until the day that the training begins.
Requirement for participation:
Completion of an EMDRIA or EMDR Iberoamerica-Approved Basic Training
Two types of CEU’S will be provided for this workshop. Completion certificates for both will be given.
• 14 Professional CEU’s will be awarded (provided by Rick Levinson, approved as a CEU provider by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Social Workers and Professional Counselors)
• 10 EMDRIA CEU’s will also be given (the difference has to do with the approval process)